Sunday, February 6, 2011

3 blokes go for a little walk in the Welsh hills

As part of my continuing training to get ready for my trek in Nepal, my Dad (Bernard “Grumpy Gramps”), Andy “The Birdman” and of course me “The Big Guy” decided to walk on part of Offa’s Dyke. 

“The Big Guy”


Bernard “Grumpy Gramps"  

Andy “The Birdman”
 
Starting just under Moel Arther, passing Jubilee Tower (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moel_Famau  ) at Moel Famau and finishing up in a village called Llanarmon-yn-lal.

As most people from the UK will know this Saturday was very wet and extremely windy, so before we even started we knew this wasn’t going to be a simple stroll.  Seeing as we do have a few brain cells between us (some more than others) we where kitted out in more than just a pair of trainers, jeans and a thin jacket, which is what you do hear about when the rescue services have to go fetch people as they went so unprepared.  Grumpy Gramps has been walking these hills and others in the Snowdonia area for nearly 40 years and The Birdman at least 15 years so there was no worry of getting lost and not what to expect.

As we walked into the field there before me was the first obstacle, a rather steep hill “oh bugger, here I go again” I thought.  A rather few huff and puffs later the first of many steep hills is over, I look back the way we came then think of how much further we have to go (Bugger that not a good idea to do that).

looking back, Moel Arther in the background

The way forward, will it ever end
 Now on these exposed parts we started to feel the force of nature first hand, the wind hitting us from the side so hard it almost pushed you over.  Already you could tell a wetsuit would have been a better idea as the wind pushed the horizontal rain and hail towards us like a constant barrage.


Andy seeing if he really can fly like his Hawks


I knew I should have brought a snorkel
















Up a slope down a slope with the weather as our faithful companion, then back up again.  Finally in the distance as the mist briefly began to clear we could see the Jubilee Tower on top of Moel Famau.

Finally the mist clears enought to see our desination

Jubilee Tower











Now it was time to get some shelter from the weather and have something to eat.
Hmm I have earned this

Weather closes in again as we take our rest

All too quickly our brief but welcome break from the wind and rain is over and onward we had to go, a nice leisurely long downhill section towards Loggerheads car park.  With new spring in my step I walked through the car park to again look up to yet another steep hill to walk up “Bugger, Bugger, Bugger” as usual went through my head.

Loggerheads another milestone but still more hills to climb

Bugger Bugger Bugger

Though it felt like it was taking forever, the top of the slope finally arrived.  A happy cheer from all as this meant for the next mile or so it was either downhill or flat…


Yippee

So after a few miles, plenty of cattle grids, gates and one very dodgy country road to cross, we began the final leg of the journey but oh buggery bugger and an extra large side of bugger that meant one more flipping hill to walk up.  As we got to the top of a grassy knoll there in front of me is an even bigger hill “Dam and double dam” I thought, “No worries” my Dad explained (with one of his rare smiles, which then makes you wonder if he is taking the pee) “we will be following the path around that hill and then follow the road down to the village”.   So again onward we slogged and our other constant companion the weather reared its ugly head for one last bout of showing us how much of a windbag it is, though by now even though we wasn’t cold there wasn’t many dry places on our body, as the wind had forced the rain right past our waterproofs as though it was rice paper.. 
Suddenly before me is a sign for the village “yippee”, I look up and to see the others at the top of the path and shouting down “nearly there now”, yeah I am sure I have heard that somewhere before (said the actress to the bishop).  Thankfully as I hit the top of the slope, down below us was the village, though we still had to had another 2 miles to go most downhill on the road leading from the hill to the village, relief finally set in
“Well bugger me, I made it”…
First sign for the village

one last push




Wet, tired but happy we made it



I can see the village at last




















3 comments:

  1. Takes me back to my childhood. Just need someone famous reading it then it would be Jackanory. You all appeared to be soaked to the skin. I doubt you will get that sort of weather in Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the amount of walking you used to do up there with Andy and my Dad.. you should get up there again...

    Good job we had waterproofs on, otherwise I hate to think what we'd be like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck, rather you than me. Weather looks a nightmare! Still, keep it up, you're putting me to shame with all this exercise you're doing! Keep it up :)
    Love, littlest sister x

    ReplyDelete